Click on the links below, i.e. 2001 to 2013 (news since then is in our ‘news’ section), to view the history of Hamilton Lodge.
2001 to 2013
2001 – The School achieved non-maintained special school status. Hamilton Lodge Education Ltd established
2002 – No. 11 Walpole Road purchased to extend post-16 accommodation.
School achieved ‘Excellence Award’ from the DfES
2004 – New Design & Technology and Primary facilities built at the rear of No. 9. This building has been named ‘The Miles Building’ and was officially opened by Councillor Pat Hawkes. Separate residential and school accommodation finally achieved for all pupils. Adventure playground moved to the rear of No. 11
2005 – Bill Simmons Craft Room converted for community and meeting use
School achieved ‘Positive about Disability Award’
60th Anniversary of the School. Principal Anne Duffy leaves after 10 years
2007 – Graham Sheppard is appointed Head Teacher
2011 – New website launched with the help of STOMP. Official Facebook, Twitter & YouTube presence for HLSC starts.
‘Music Partnership Project’ launched thanks to financial backing from Ovingdean Hall Trustees; music & music video classes provided by The Crew Club using their facilities and the Simmons Room which was converted for music and dance use.
2012 – Ovingdean Hall Trustees purchase no.34 Walpole Road as a boarding house for Hamilton Lodge Further Education students
Graham Sheppard becomes Principal as Juliet Grant is appointed Head Teacher
Blur drummer Dave Rowntree promotes our music work on BBC TV
New college extension (on the side of the Miles building) and floodlit ball court (garden of no.11) are built.
1980 to 2000
1981 – The Bill Simmons Craft Room created out of two small classrooms at the rear of No. 15
The Tregenza Room, showers and changing rooms created out of the undercover play area beneath the James Wing
1985 – Two speech cabins installed, one behind No. 1, the other behind No. 9
1987 – The tree garden created to provide private access to the playing fields
1991 – Hamilton Lodge students win first prize in a national competition to design new products for Deaf people. The adventure playground created at the back of No. 9. The playroom at No 1 refurbished
1992 – The astro turf pitch created on the side of the old tennis courts on the playing fields
1993 – Home economics room moved up to No. 15 into new extension at the back
New classroom created at No. 1B in place of the old Home Economics room
1994 – Floodlights installed on the new astro turf pitch
Science room in No. 9 refurbished
No 10 Arundel Road purchased and refurbished for a F.E. Hostel
1995 – 50th Anniversary of the school
Mrs Anne Duffy appointed Principal from September 1995
1997 – No 15 extension built and re-organisation to No. 1 and No’s. 7-9 buildings. This achieved separate residential and school accommodation for secondary pupils. Funded by Lottery grant
1999 – New bath and shower rooms in No. 1
Sale of No. 10 Arundel Road and change from F.E. to Yr. 12
2000 – Work on Head’s House for Yr. 12 students’ accommodation
1971 to 1980
1972 – No. 1 extension built to provide surgery, sick-bay and reception classroom
1973 – Part possession of No. 1B Walpole Terrace for staff accommodation
1975 – Playing fields carved out of steep downland beside the lane between No’s. 7 & 9
1976 – New boiler room constructed at the back of No. 1
1977 – Full possession of No. 1B Walpole Terrace
Dining room, kitchen & cloakrooms created on ground floor of No. 1B and lower ground floor of No’s. 1 & 3
Play area created at back of No. 1
Home economics room created in No. 1B
1978 – Miss Margaret Moore appointed Principal
Improvements to the top floor of No. 7
1979 – No. 13 sold to raise much needed capital
Further Education and Post 16 Department established, based at No. 15
1945 to 1970
1945 – School founded by Miss Margaret McNab Taylor in No. 7 Walpole Road
1947 – No’s. 1 & 3 Walpole Road bought
1949 – No. 9 Walpole Road bought
1951 – No. 15 Walpole Road (East) bought
1952 – No. 15 Walpole Road (West) bought
1955 – The Educational Trust Hamilton Lodge (Brighton) Ltd. established
1959 – Two classrooms/speech rooms built at the rear of No. 15
1963 – Science room built at No. 15
1963/4 – Miss Margaret McNab Taylor died on Tuesday 19th November 1963 at Worthing Juvenile Court. Funeral took place on Saturday 23rd November 1963 at 12 noon at St Anne’s Church, Brighton. Mr John Jansen appointed Principal.
1965 – Principal’s house built behind No. 15
1966 – School recognised by the Department of Education and Science
1967 – James Wing, containing classrooms, gym/assembly hall and covered play area, opened by the Duchess of Norfolk
1969 – Library in No’s. 7 & 9 opened
1970- 25th Anniversary of the school
No. 13 Walpole Road bought to provide two classrooms, art room, pottery room and dressmaking room
Find out about the history, stories and achievements of Hamilton Lodge and its pupils as published in the press.
You will see how deaf awareness has improved over the years. The language used by journalists to describe our students in the past is thankfully unacceptable today.
All press clippings are in PDF format.